If you have a child with special needs, it can be hard to picture what their life will be like as they get older.
As adults, they’ll need lasting financial resources and access to government programs that can help them. Your adult son or daughter may need a guardian appointed to manage their personal business.
It can be even harder to picture what will happen after you can’t be around anymore to provide them with everyday care.
It’s time for special needs planning.
You can take multiple legal steps to create a future for your child that is full of care and support.
An experienced special needs planning lawyer will show you your options and help you discover what fits best for your situation.
The Cuddy Law Firm has an office providing special needs planning in Westchester County.
If you live anywhere in Westchester, Orange, Putnam and Rockland Counties, or any place in New York State, we’re here to help you and your family.
Removing the uncertainty about how your child will be provided for in the years ahead lets you more fully enjoy today.
How We Help with Special Needs Planning in Westchester and all through New York State
These are among the things that the special needs planning lawyers at the Cuddy Law Firm can do for you:
- Establish a special needs trust to shelter financial resources for your child
- Establish guardianships to support adult children with disabilities
- Assist with special needs estate planning to provide for your child’s long-term future
- Appeal denials of Medicaid health benefits for a person with special needs
- Appeal denials of services from the New York Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)
You have many decisions to make when you’re planning for the future of a child with special needs.
Special needs trusts come in different forms.
New York State has different types of guardianships.
A special needs estate plan can include letters of intent, advance directives, wills and more.
Working with a special needs planning attorney can help you gain clarity about what’s best for your child—and gain confidence that you’ve done everything to secure their future.
How to Learn about Special Needs Planning in Westchester and Throughout New York State
This isn’t something you do every day.
Not only is it hard to think about what will happen to your child when you’re gone, it’s hard to visualize all of the issues to plan for in setting up wills, trusts and guardianships.
It’s easier when you have help from someone who does, in fact, do this every day.
The Cuddy Law Firm special needs planning lawyers are a resource for people in New York seeking to better understand the legal tools for safeguarding and supporting their loved ones for the long term.
In videos and blog posts, our special needs planning attorneys have covered these topics and more:
- Introduction to Special Needs Planning
- Guardianships & Special Needs Planning5
- Special Needs Life Planning (Including Living Wills, Life Insurance and Beneficiary Selections)
- Transition Plans for a Child Leaving High School
- Applying for Developmental Disability Programs in New York State
You don’t have to navigate it all on your own. The Cuddy Law Firm can serve as your guide through this process.
For people in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam Counties and beyond—all across New York State—talk to us about special needs planning.
When you have a plan in place, you can rest easier.