Legal Help to Secure Your Child’s Future
Planning for the future of a loved one with special needs can be overwhelming.
But getting the right plan in place can be reassuring.
Families want to ensure that loved ones with disabilities get the greatest possible benefit from resources provided by the family, maintain access to government benefits, and enjoy full lives.
Whether you’re dealing with a settlement or just need to plan for the future, a special needs planning lawyer can help a great deal. Call the Cuddy Law Firm today to get help.
A special needs planning lawyer can help you sort out different kinds of trusts and different government benefits programs. They can guide your approach to settlement money from sources like personal injury claims, medical malpractice lawsuits, or birth injury claims—so those resources don’t jeopardize the future benefits for a child with special needs.
When you have an experienced attorney, you can rest assured that you’re making the right choices.
From New York City to Westchester to Upstate New York, Cuddy Law Firm is dedicated to this.
Contact Us Today!
What a Special Needs Planning Lawyer Does for You
Here are some of the ways a special needs planning attorney helps you navigate a process that’s often complicated and emotional:
- Special Needs Trusts: Your lawyer can help you understand the options and choose a special needs trust that protects assets of your child with disabilities.
- Guardianship: A special needs planning lawyer can assist you in decisions about guardianship arrangements for an adult child with special needs.
- Settlements: Legal settlements for a loved one with disabilities must be handled carefully so they don’t disqualify the person from government assistance.
- Government Programs: Your special needs planning lawyer can help you factor in government benefits awarded based on financial need, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, Medicaid health care and state-run services for people with disabilities.
- Estate Planning: General estate planning, including wills, is also part of the special needs planning you need to consider. And a lawyer can help.
It’s not your job to navigate the court system, interpret legal documents, properly address the issues in a settlement, or analyze the ramifications of different special needs plans.
But it is our job.
Resources for Families Making Special Needs Plans
At the Cuddy Law Firm, we make our special needs planning lawyers are a resource for parents and families who face important decisions.
We’ve produced articles and videos discussing multiple aspects of the process. See some of them here:
- Special Needs Planning Essentials
- When to Make a Special Needs Plan
- Special Needs Trust Administration
- Applying for Developmental Disability Programs in New York
- Appealing Denials of Benefits for People with Special Needs
- Special Education Transition Plans from High School
- Special Needs Life Planning
- Guardianship Plans
Having support from an experienced lawyer can give you greater confidence in the protections you’ve established for the future of your child with special needs.
This isn’t most people’s favorite thing to think about—what happens to your loved one with disabilities when you are no longer able to help them every day.
But few things could be more important. And getting a plan in place can lift a burden off of you.
This is about your child or other family member’s future.
It’s time to set them up for long-term security.